I awoke to sad news yesterday. A family dear to me was caring for the Father of the family as he neared the end of his life. Mr H passed away yesterday at 5 o’clock in the afternoon, in his beautiful home, surrounded by his beloved family.
He was an epic man… a self-made, successful man who never stopped tackling new projects and trying new things. Impressively, he always exuded an air of calm that was extraordinary given his busy life – running his own business and raising a much loved family with four children.
I met Mr H and his clan only a few months after my own Father had passed away. So many of my teenage lessons were learned at their happy kitchen table…
A Few Things I Learned From Mr H:
- Seek the opportunity that no one else is pursuing – then master it.
- There is no division between home and work. There is only life – work comes home and kids come to work.
- Take time to nurture and enjoy beauty.
- Leave places better than you found them.
- If your daughter’s teenaged friend accidentally puts a round dent in your Suburban with her derriere, forgive her and be too polite to laugh to her face.
- Put the extra effort in to live life with a certain flair.
- It’s never too late to learn something new.
- Family is Everything.
Thank you to the H clan for including me in so many of the important moments of their family life. It’s an honour. My thoughts are with you now, and I share your sadness tonight.